Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Maryland, College Park and Humboldt Research Fellow at the Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy.
I'm an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Maryland (College Park). I'm also a Humboldt Research Fellow at the Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy and a Research Fellow at the Centre of Excellence for Biosecurity Risk Analysis.
My research is currently focused on the so-called "wisdom of crowds” effect and the intersection between social epistemology and psychology. As part of that work, I'm developing a crowdsourcing risk analysis platform called CrowdPredict.it to empirically test philosophically motivated ideas for how to improve methods of aggregating subjective forecasts. This work is kindly supported by the Humboldt Foundation.
- Lyon, A. (forthcoming). Collective Wisdom, The Journal of Philosophy.
- Lyon, A., Wintle, B., Burgman, M. (forthcoming). Collective Wisdom: A Study of Some Simple and Complex Methods of Confidence Interval Aggregation, Journal of Business Research.
- Lyon, A. (2014). Why are Normal Distributions Normal?, The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 65(3):621-649.
- Lyon, A. (2014). From Kolmogorov, to Popper, to Renyi: There's No Escaping Humphreys' Paradox (When Generalised), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, A. Wilson (ed.), Oxford University Press.
- Lyon, A., Grossel, G., Burgman, M., Nunn, M. (2013). Using Internet Intelligence to Manage Biosecurity Risks: A Case Study for Aquatic Animal Health, Diversity and Distributions., 19(5-6):640–650.
- Lyon, A. (2012). Mathematical Explanations of Empirical Facts, and Mathematical Realism, The Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 90(3):559-578.
- Lyon, A., Nunn, M., Grossel, G., Burgman, M. (2012). Comparison of Web–Based Biosecurity Intelligence Systems: BioCaster, EpiSPIDER, and HealthMap, Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, 59(3):223-32.
- Lyon, A. (2011). Deterministic Probability: Neither Chance nor Credence, Synthese, 182(3):413-32.
- Lyon, A. (2010). Philosophy of Probability, Philosophies of the Sciences, F. Allhoff (ed.), Wiley–Blackwell.
- Lyon, A. and Colyvan, M. (2008). The Explanatory Power of Phase Spaces, Philosophia Mathematica, 16 (2): 227-243.
See my CV for a complete list of my publications.